Not all fats are created equal — we’re here to help you figure out which ones you should get more of.
Two healthy fats are monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat. These fats are good for your heart and cholesterol, in addition they help to manage your moods, fight fatigue, and control your weight. Where you’ll find these fats:
- Olive oil
- Sunflower oil
- Peanut butter
- Soybean oil
- Corn oil
- Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)
Another healthy fat to keep in your diet are the Omega-3 fatty acids, as these are considered essential to help our bodies function normally. Omega-3 fatty acids are an element that our body requires — but does not produce — and therefore is important that we find ways to incorporate it into our everyday eating habits. There are a few ways that you can incorporate Omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.
- Eat fatty fish at least two to three times a week. Health experts suggest that you stick to salt water fish, as they have higher quantities of good fats. However some warn consumers not to have too much fish since they still can carry higher levels of mercury than our bodies should have.
- Include healthy oils in your diet when you prepare food. Use them in salad dressings or when preparing meals to help you and your loved ones get the recommended amount of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Take a daily fish oil supplement. These can be found at health food and nutritional stores and are a great way to be proactive in providing your body with Omega-3 fatty acids.
All of these healthy fats help everyone maintain a healthier lifestyle, especially people with diabetes. By including these healthy fats in your diet, your body will be able to better use what insulin is left and help the rest of your body function better.
- Good vs. Bad Fats: What’s the Difference? (epicahealth.com)
- Which Fats Really Are Good for Your Heart? (throwinfataway.wordpress.com)
- The Mediterranean Diet: Eating Well is the Best Reward (healthnews.ediets.com)
- Fat is Good. Eat Good Fat (italmama.wordpress.com)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – What They Are and Why They Are Good For You (chiabenefits.net)